Monday, July 14, 2008

MODERN VANCOUVER part I


FRESH and BACK ... (above is an image of our front entry.  Living in a loft, we're lucky to have exposed poured concrete walls as a back drop for a floral arrangement I change with each season - it's amazing how fresh flowers can bring a sense of calm each time I come home ... floating white orchids once submerged. These lovely buds last longer than most flowers, if you change the water once a week.  Note: to fill the vase using a wide spray faucet while filling the vase to make the water bubble, the more air bubbles you add the better - you get an amazing effect to a floral submerged in water.  The bubbles collect amongst the petals and with the buds slightly submerged the scale of the floral is magnified.  A collection of oversized glass vessels translate into more creative & artistic installations, where we combine submerged florals with floating or votive candles.  Adding a layering of single stem flowers combines into a simple yet sophisticated arrangement.  Repetition, scale, keeping it simple makes for bigger impact.) To most this arrangement is too simple but that's why I love it - less is more ... if I had more space I would have a collection of 12 vases ...

It's been a while since I've posted and I just wanted to drop a quick hello, yes I am still alive post. Thank you to all my readers who have been writing me with their support and kind comments.  I wanted to let you all know, I plan to start blogging again.  With recent meetings and working with amazing people, I am inspired to share with all of you what I have been up to and to why I decided to make Vancouver home base.  Stay tuned ... I plan to write on all the modern inspiration I have found in Vancouver in addition to sharing the happenings along the way from my last visit to ICFF this past May.   Till my next post, please stay tuned ...